This satirical illustration displays the events of January 9th, 1905 (old style) in which Imperial guards fired into a crowd of demonstrators marching toward the Winter Palace. This event is often referred to as Bloody/Red Sunday. This day was the beginning of the 1905 Revolution. The title of this journal is “Cвобода” (freedom), which I think it great for the journal volume that is discussing the killing of protesters by the Tsar’s army as they ask for improved working conditions. I can’t tell what the caption of the illustration is, which makes me feel like I’m missing a large part of this piece. However, the faces of both parties don’t look remotely like a tragedy has just taken place. The faces of the imperial guard look down at the demonstrators with smug smiles while the demonstrators are sprawled in their own blood. I think this demonstrates the autocracy’s separation from the rest of Russian citizens which was a major factor leading to the first (and second) Russian Revolution.